What kind of jobs are available?
Summer work here can involve any number of activities. Although do bear in mind, that it is almost impossible to find first time work on Ibiza without being on the island. Which means you have to fly down here to look personally!
- Waiting tables and working in bars is probably the most popular. Over 4 million tourists come each year, and the huge number of restaurants, bars, cafés and nightclubs ensure a very high turn over of staff in these industries. Unless you apply to a Hotel Chain or know of somebody with a bar or restaurant, it is very difficult to apply for this sort of job before the summer has started.
- PR work for the discos and clubs. Ibiza and Party go hand in hand. Public relations work for the clubs and bars is a very important means of advertising the coming nights out. Laws were passed in recent years restricting the number of people able to work for each establishment (bar / club) so there are fewer of these type of jobs available. You will need stamina for this job ;-)
- Sports and the beach. There are many surf and sailing schools on the island, as well as Diving centres, Waterskiing, Jet skiing. In order to work as an instructor, you will need the appropriate qualifications.
- Hotel Reception. One of the few jobs here which you can apply for before the summer starts, especially if you apply to one of the bigger hotel chains. Smaller hotels, apartments and clubs will take people on in the early summer months of May and June. Once again, the appropriate qualifications or experience are preferred (not forgetting any language skills too).
When should I start looking?
Obviously it depends upon the type of work and the company involved.
- Waiting tables and working in bars. Most bars and restaurants start hiring at the beginning of the summer (early May to early June). Our advice is to fly out to Ibiza at the end of april with a bit of money for the first few weeks, and to go around the bars and restaurants asking for work. Even if you do not find a job straight away, there is a very high turnover in this industry, so do not despair. Keep asking around. Like in most countries, if you look hard enough there are always jobs to be found. Good luck!
- PR for the discos and clubs. The party season starts at the beginning of June. make sure you are here at this time of hiring. Go to each of the clubs and bars and ask them personally. You should be outgoing, young and (single? ;-)
- Sports and the beach. A bit trickier to find work in these areas. You should be out here at the end of April, beginning of May, and be prepared to ask around. Many of the hotels and clubs have their own windsurf schools. In this case you might like to apply to these directly before the season has started. Sometimes you will be involved in the Hotel Animation Programme as well, which involves taking part in the shows and nighttime entertainment. Have a look on our maps to find out which resorts and hotels are on or near a beach, and contact these accommodations. You may get lucky.
- Hotel Reception. This is a sought-after job and it is quite difficult to find work as a hotel receptionist. Many of the larger hotels have their own reception staff who come again year after year. Our advice is to phone them up in March and April, to ask if there are any vacant positions. even if you are not lucky first time around, there is a high turnover of staff in the hotel industry, so you might like to fly down here in May and ask the hotels personally.
What qualifications will I need?
- Languages. With so many tourists here on the island, it is possible to find work without speaking a word of Spanish!! We would recommend however learning a bit of Spanish before you come.
If you are determined to work here next summer, why don't you take a few Spanish lessons, or join a course for a few weeks. A little bit of Spanish goes a very long way.
- Personal qualities. Work here in summer is as hard as it is rewarding. A six day week is the norm, and many bar staff have to work 7 evenings a week. Accommodation is often shared, and the comforts of home, such as television and air-conditioning, are rare.
Remember though, you will be working in Ibiza. The sun is shining, everyone is here to have fun, so the atmosphere is amazing. The beach is just around the corner, and you will probably have free tickets for most of the discos. The fringe benefits can not be ignored!!
- Skills and Qualifications. As mentioned above, specialist jobs require specialist qualifications. Experience is also preferred for bar and restaurant work.
How much can I earn?
The average summer wage is between 800 Euros (net) and 1000 Euros (net) per month. This does not include tips or commission where appropriate. This may not seem like much, however...
- Many employers will provide accommodation.
- Free passes for the discos are easy to come by if you work here.
- The quality of life here can not be bettered in Europe. There is a wonderful care-free atmosphere on the island, and almost everyone I know who has worked one season here comes back for a second, and a third....
- The employment of British Citizens in Spain - An interview with British Vice Consul Helen Watson. April 2002.
- How to apply for a residents permit and other useful tips
- European Community online - The complete lowdown on working, living, travelling, citizen's rights, etc in Spain. This is an invaluable resource.
- Americans in Ibiza - Advice and resources on travelling and working in Ibiza.
- Job hunting section of our forums - sign up, ask questions and post a message looking for work.
- Season Workers - a good general seasonal workers website. Some useful tips and information
Book online with Spotlight
The weekly official Cream Ibiza Boat Party
A dark cult of techno in San Antonio’s nightspot.
Last year's VIP bestseller returns this summer - exclusively available through Spotlight.
An iconic island favourite
An overview of all the boat parties happening in 2015 so you can choose which suits you best!
More Coxy = more fun.
The place to meat in Bossa
Where no one is ready to call it a night...